Saturday, November 6, 2010

Mangos and fields of sugar cane.

Baby is sleeping beside me in an afternoon slumber. The fan is creaking back and forth and it looks like it is going to rain outside. Far across the ocean, husband man is at our house. It is night time in California and I'm sure he is sleeping right now, cuddled up with our pups.
I miss him being beside me.
But all in all, I am content with where I am.

I fall more in love with Uganda each and every day I spend here. Beans and chipotis. The greenery surrounding the city. The dark red dirt. Banana plantations. Bodas. The Ugandan people and their hearts and ready smiles.

I love how when I say that my baby's name is Asiimwe they say "ohhhh that is a good name" and give me ten different things it means. All similar, and wonderful just the same. Asiimwe. From western Uganda. Thanks to God. 


{could anything be more perfect?} 

I am in love with the fog that blankets the city in the mornings. The rain that comes, without fail, every afternoon. The laundry hanging on the clothes line.The nile river. Monkeys running past us. Mangos. Fields of sugar cane. Orange fanta.

I am content here.
I am happy.

2 comments:

Jordan - Polkadot Prints said...

Loving reading your story, Abi. I lived in Uganda for a year with my husband three years ago. The memories are still so strong in both of us and we can't wait to head back to visit. It's a crazy / fun country! :) I get all nervously excited for you just reading about your trip and adoption story. Wishing you all the best in the coming months as you all adjust and find a new rythm and joy in life. Jordan x

Jordan - Polkadot Prints said...

Oh and I just read Finley was from sanyu...I totally know that place and have volunteered there! Ha :) x